October 15th is White Cane Safety Day. When this day was first established in 1963, President Johnson noted that, “The white cane in our society has become one of the symbols of a blind person’s ability to come and go on his own. Its use has promoted courtesy and special consideration to the blind.” The white cane speaks to blind people’s independence and self-sufficiency and White Cane Safety Day is meant to celebrate the achievements of people who are blind or visually impaired. Helen Keller, Andrea Bocelli and Stevie Wonder are just a few individuals who made a substantial impact on the world in spite of their blindness.
Age impacts our eyes. As we get older, it can take longer for our eyes to adjust and focus, our sensitivity to glare can increase and it can be harder to distinguish color contrasts. In honor of White Cane Safety Day, we’d like to provide you with a few tips to maintain eye health in seniors.
- To avoid falls and eye-related injuries, make sure all rugs in your home are slip-proof.
- Secure all railings in your home so that they are never loose.
- High blood pressure and diabetes can affect eye health. Keep your eye doctor informed of any new health conditions as well as medications you are taking so that he/she can provide a comprehensive assessment of your eye functioning.
- Just like the rest of your body, your eyes benefit from regular exercise because your blood circulation and oxygen intake increase.
- Wear protective eye gear when you are outdoors.
- Sleep provides natural lubrication for your eyes. Make sure you are getting enough sleep each night so that your eyes have the time to clear any irritants like dust or smoke that may have been picked up during the day.
Considering taking these precautions to care for your eyes as you age.
Headquartered in Santa Rosa, CA, Oakmont Senior Living is an award-winning developer of premier, resort-style senior communities, with communities throughout California and Nevada. Family owned and operated, Oakmont is recognized for quality of craftsmanship and excellence of amenities and services. Oakmont is dedicated to creating high-quality communities that enhance the world of retirement living and offer peace of mind for families. For more information about Oakmont, visit www.oakmontseniorliving.com.