Total Yield: 18 Cups
Shelf Life: Up to 5 Days
Total Time: 5 Hours
Recipe By: Andrew Moret
Director of Culinary
Oakmont Management Group
6 Cups Watermelon Diced (about 1 Large Watermelon)
8 Basil leaves plus Small Leaves to Garnish
3 Limes Zested and Juiced
1/3 Cup of Sugar
1 Pinch of Salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, toss while squeezing the mixture with your hands. You want to bruise the basil to release the essential oils.
2. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
3. Blend mixture in a blender or food processor.
4. Pass mixture through a sieve into a large casserole dish (the larger the surface area the quicker it will freeze and the easier it will be to fluff).
5. Place dish in freezer and let freeze for 4 hours.
6. Once the mixture is frozen with a fork scrape the top in short strokes, it should start to fluff and create a light pink snow. If the Granita starts to melt, put back in the freezer for another 30 minutes and repeat.
7. Once all scraped and fluffy, serve in ice cream dishes and garnish with small basil leaves.
8. Serve immediately.