It’s that time of year when the outdoors beckon!
Spending time outside in the summer is good for all ages, but especially beneficial for seniors. It increases vitamin D levels, which helps fight certain conditions such as osteoporosis, cancer, heart attacks and depression. And while the sun has its benefits, it’s also best to keep safety in mind. Summer can bring extreme heat that can increase the risk of dehydration, heat stroke, and other health risks, so prepare by staying cool and hydrated. We recommend wearing sun hats and keeping a bottle of water handy.
If you’re looking for a fun list of activities that you can participate in during the summer, then we have a few suggestions for you.
- Volunteer – There are lots of organizations that need helping hands and are very active during the summer months. Find a cause that you want to support and see if they’re hiring any volunteers. Oakmont Senior Living has plenty of opportunity for seniors to get involved. For this season’s volunteer program, we’re doing a focus on animals and how seniors can enrich pets lives by donating their time to adoption centers and creating animals treats. If you’re interested, reach out to your local senior living community and see how you can lend a hand!
- Check out the community pool – The pool is always a favorite activity when it’s hot outside. Most cities and towns have multiple community pools and are relatively priced. For example, Santa Clarita has the Santa Clarita Aquatics Center, which is a large pool with an amazing lifeguard staff.
- Picnic at a local park or playground – Get back to nature by packing a lunch and eating outdoors. This would be a fun event to do with your family, friends and neighbors. Sandwiches, potato salad, and fruit salad are all perfect for bringing to a picnic. Choose your favorite park and relax in the great outdoors.
- Take a morning walk – We suggest avoiding the hottest times of the day and the strongest sunlight by getting started early, before 10 am. Be prepared by bringing along a bottle of water. Get up early and head out!
- Join or start your own book club – Many bestsellers tend to come out during the summer, so for the next one you’re looking forward to, start a book club! It’s always fun to read and engage in discussion afterwards, so connect with your friends and family and start a new trend in your community.