Chef Rina’s spring rolls are easy to make and very versatile. They are great as a meal, snack or appetizer and can be customized to fit your palate. With fresh veggies and herbs as the star of this recipe, these will become your favorite, too.
Total Yield: 8 Spring Rolls
Shelf Life: 4 Hours max
Total Prep Time: 15-30 Mins
Recipe By: Chef Rina Younan, VP of Culinary at Oakmont Senior Living
- Cutting Board
- Small Mixing Bowl
- 9inch vessel (casserole dish)
Spring Roll Filling
- 8 rice paper spring roll wrappers
- 1 cup shredded lettuce or green cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper – julienned
- 1 cucumber – peeled and cut into 2inch long sticks (8ea)
- 1 carrot – peeled and shredded – enough for 8 rolls
- 1 mango – peeled and cut into sticks or cubes – enough for 8 rolls
- 16 mint leaves
- 16 basil leaves
- 1 pack glass noodles or rice noodle (or spaghetti) cooked, tossed in noodle Sauce & cooled – divided into 8 portions
- 1 pack of tofu – cut into 8 sticks
- 9″ wide vessel filled with warm water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce – optional
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce or soy sauce
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup peanut butter – unsweetened
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (omit if peanut butter is sweetened)
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 tbsp ginger root – grated
- 2 tbsp warm water
Mix in a blender or in a bowl with a whisk until smooth and combined.
To build spring roll:
- Place spring roll wrapper into warm water for 10 seconds. Be sure it is fully submerged in the water.
- Place the hydrated wrapper on a flat & clean surface (cutting board or plate). Use a circular motion to ensure the wrapper is “adhered” to the surface
- Working quickly, fill the wrapper in the center with the follow ingredients – 1oz lettuce, 3 pieces of bell pepper, 1 stick of cucumber, shredded carrots, mango, 2 mint leaves, 2 basil leaves, 1 portion of noodles, 1 stick of tofu or 2 shrimp
- Fold each side of the wrapper over the ingredients inward.
- Roll bottom of wrapper up and over the ingredients upwards away from you, tucking all the ingredients up under the wrapper. (Roll like a burrito or wrap)
- Continue to roll the wrapper over upwards until spring roll is formed.
- Can be cut in half and served standing up. Serve Chilled with Peanut dipping sauce.